Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vehito!

"Whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 10:38-39)

Difficult words. Which we don't understand if we don't take time to listen and remember. One man bore the cross and followed Jesus, though not exactly by choice:
As they went out, they found a man Cyrene, Simon by name. They compelled this man to carry [Lat., vehere] Jesus's cross . . . (Matthew 27:32) Compulsory, but apparently without regret. Saint Mark names Simon, and his sons; probable evidence that this family was known in the young church. Simon was a cross-bearer found worthy of his Lord.

"Vehito!" Lent reminds us we are called to be cross-carriers.


Take up your cross
Broooklyn Tabernacle Choir

Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice! . . .  But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless! (Psalm 141, 2, 8. See the full psalm here.)
 

No comments: