Monday, April 19, 2010

Unread

Senior Pastor Emeritus, Kent Hughes, College Church in Wheaton, had the most impressive pastor's library I have ever seen. He once related his response to the most common question he was asked in his study.
Parishioner: "Pastor, have you read all these books?"
Kent: "Some of them twice."

Here is a short list of my other books - those that have not been read, much less twice, but stand apart on a separate shelf. This is where I feel I must go when I need something else to read. Unless, that is, something else ininuates itself. It could be an invigorating summer!

PASTORAL MINISTRY
  • Eugene Peterson, following on Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places - Eat This Book and The Jesus Way
  • D.A.Carson, A Call to Spiritual Reformation
  • Dever, Duncan, et al, Preaching the Cross
  • John Piper, A Hunger for God
MUSIC & WORSHIP
  • Paul S. Jones, Singing and Making Music
  • Robin Leaver, Luther's Liturgical Music
  • Hart and Muether, With Reverence and Awe
  • Scott Hyslop, The Journey was Chosen: the life and work of Paul Manz
  • John Witvliet, Worship Seeking Understanding
  • John Tyson, Assist Me to Proclaim: the life and hymns of Charles Wesley
THEOLOGY/CHRISTIAN THOUGHT
  • Jeffrey, Ovey & Sach, Pierced for Our Transgressions
  • Martin Luther, Three Treatises
  • Timothy George, ed., God the Holy Trinity
  • D. A. Carson, The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • Jacques Ellul, To Will & To Do
There are many more to be read, the first time. These are not even all the titles on my "to be read next" shelf. And I can't begin to guess what might assert its priority over these. But now being a bit better organized, I think I can set myself to the glories and surprises at hand.

No comments: