Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Maneto!

There in the garden, with his followers, Jesus was sorrowful and troubled. And he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me." (Matthew 26:38)

Maneto! Remain here.

Abide.

Can I sit still, in this place actively abide with Jesus? Lent helps us learn to do this. The season is designed to help us remain, and hear his voice: "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:4-5)

"Jesus, I Am Resting" 
arr. Edwin T. Childs
so pleased to find this online; you'll hear more from Dr. Childs this season!

Here might I stay and sing
Of Him my soul adores;
Never was love, dear King,
Never was grief like yours!
This is my friend, in whose sweet praise
I all my days could gladly spend.
Samuel Crossman, 17th century

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
My soul waits for the Lord
  more than watchmen for the morning,
  more than watchmen for the morning.
(Psalm 130:5-6)

No comments: