Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Audite!

"Listen!"

Many of these days of Lenten preparation for Easter find us (here in the Midwest) slowed down by late winter surprises. This year, where I live the surprises are cold, not snow. We hunker down, stay in, and find ways to manage a less active life.

It's a good time to slow down and listen. "Audite!"

The Gospels are a good place to start listening. Jesus is speaking:
"Come  to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

Listen again:

"Come Unto Me" composed by Larry Nickel
sung by the West Coast Mennonite Chamber Choir
Tony Funk, conductor

The psalmist speaks, for us:  
Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:7-8)

1 comment:

Claudia Gerwin said...

Amen. My devotions during this Lent are based on Amy Carmichael writings - she knew how to rest in the Lord, and passed on her discoveries to me. Thank you for the good reminder ... in you I trust... for to you I lift up my soul.